Sunday 20 March 2016

Another Empire

I tick off number seven on the list this week, and my second Marston’s beer – Old Empire. This is my second IPA, and as you may recall, stands for India Pale Ale. Typically, IPAs are stronger than your average beer and usually quite bitter. Marston’s version is no different.

I wrote at some length last time about how I felt many IPAs weren’t actually that pale. But, I admitted, this is probably more about what I think of as pale rather than the beer hue itself. This beer is, however, fairly pale and crystal clear as you might expect.

Marston’s is a pretty big brewery, and as well as Pedigree and Old Empire IPA, produce a broad range of beers which you can get hold of. When I quickly skimmed their website earlier today, they list a number of other breweries such as Jennings and Bank’s, and I wonder if they just kindly advertise these other ale-makers or have a hand in them also. Many of the larger breweries have bought up the smaller ones, which is often a shame as the little guy just can’t compete with the big business breweries.


About the beer

The 300 list classes this as an IPA.

I really like Old Empire, and irrespective of how you feel about big breweries, this is not a bad bottle of beer. It’s strong, at 5.7% as you’d expect from an IPA and has that good level of bitterness also. It doesn’t whack you in the taste buds with hops, but a slower bitter tang that hands on the tongue. It is a mass produced beer, which I know many don’t like, and perhaps has some of those characteristics. It’s a better alternative than some other so called IPAs I could name, and I don’t think you would be disappointed if you tried it.

Alcohol: 5.7%

My rating: 7/10


Whether you love the big name breweries, or prefer a smaller, local brew, you have to give credit where it’s due here.

The great thing about Old Empire, and Marston’s beers in general, is that you can find them without much trouble. Most large supermarkets supply them, and in fact, I picked up my bottle from our local Home Bargains at a basement price of only £1.59. That’s not bad for a good pint.


How does it compare to other IPAs? Well, looking back at my notes, the only other IPA I’ve tried so far was the Burton Bridge Empire – the name is simply a coincidence! I notice I’ve scored them both a 7, which seems somewhat unfair to the Burton-on-Trent beast. That was a great beer, and had real character and strength. Perhaps the truth is though, that while the beers are both IPAs, they really are quite different animals. Even side by side in the “IPA” box, you see a big difference in them, and that’s what I love about ale! Every single beer is different, and you never quite know which you are going to love the most – this one, or the next! Keep tasting, that’s what I say!

1 comment:

  1. 20 March...... now 6 April. Have you stopped drinking beer? Lol

    ReplyDelete