Monday 25 January 2016

Burns Night Beer


I don’t need much of an excuse for a celebration, and like St Patrick’s Day in Ireland, Burn’s Night is being marked beyond the borders of Scotland. Truth be told, I wasn’t entirely sure what Burn’s Night is all about, but since discovered it’s the birthday of Robert Burns – a noteworthy Scottish poet.

Our local Aldi, and I suppose Aldi’s across the nation, mark such days with special offers and themed beers. This Burns Night was no exception. They had a selection of Scottish beers, including the one I’m sampling tonight – the Rabbie Burns Blonde beer.

I know it’s yet another departure from the 300 beers list, but I hope you still appreciate my random thoughts on the subject! I did have a good look to see if I could find a Scottish beer that was also on the list, but alas I could not. Actually, I should say another Scottish beer… I have got one in my stash, ready for a certain upcoming event which I’ll tell you about later.

About the beer

Rabbie Burns – Blonde Beer seeming brewed by “Traditional Scottish Ales Ltd” – imaginative name by the way!

Described as a blonde beer, it’s the colour of some lagers and is very pale. It has a smooth and almost creamy taste, with very little bitterness. It’s well rounded and quite enjoyable all in all. My only complaint is that it’s a little forgettable. It’s perfectly fine, but not outstanding.

Alcohol: 4.2%

My rating: 5/10

I feel a little bad rating this as a 5. It’s not awful by any means, and it slips down rather easily. The issue is, I probably won’t remember it in a week’s time and unless I read back over my blog, I won’t even recall its name!

Well, if you celebrate Burns’ Night, I wish you a very happy one – if that’s the right phrase! My little beer this evening is by no means the end of my celebrations, as a few of us are gathering in a week or so to do a “proper” Burns’ night with haggis and the full works!

The Burns’ Night event will be a beer fest also. Each will bring a chosen beer for the rest to rate and guess the alcohol content. I’d tell you more about the beer I’ve chosen, but I’ve been sworn to secrecy so as not to ruin the game. Leave it said that it is both Scottish and on the 300 list, so a blog will follow… bet you can’t wait?!

1 comment:

  1. Everyone loves a beer quiz. As the late, great Rabbi said "there is no such uncertainty as a sure thing".
    Enjoy the haggis

    ReplyDelete