Wednesday 13 January 2016

Pedigree Yum


Sincere apologies to Marston’s for in any way associating their beer with a popular dog food… but it was literally the best I could do!

We return to our 300 beer challenge and hit the third beer so far – Marston’s Pedigree – in case you hadn’t figured that out. Pedigree is a pale ale, and like some IPAs, really isn’t all that pale. Looking again at the definition of a pale ale, I realise I need to reassess what I think of as “pale”. This is a beer you can see through, but it’s not light or golden, which is what I associate with a “pale” ale. In all honesty, this is my own misapprehension, and pale doesn’t mean golden or straw coloured as I imagine inside my skull.

Perhaps I should have said up front, but I like dark beers. I don’t mean that I like them to the exclusion of paler beers, but I guess I do prefer a dark brown or black hue to my beverage. While the market for craft and real ale continues to grow, there does seem to be a lot more golden ales around than dark. Perhaps that’s just my impression, but the major supermarkets seem to stock a lot of the golden beers in all shapes and sizes.

Pedigree is a pale ale – as I’ve mentioned. And this is not to be confused with a bitter. Had you asked me beforehand, I might have made the mistake of thinking that it was a bitter – as I’m not well versed in Marston’s beer (yet). The label on the bottle however is very clear, and if that wasn’t enough, one taste should tell you it’s not a bitter.

Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not criticising at all, it’s not meant to be a bitter and therefore shouldn’t taste like one. It is, very proudly, a good example of a pale ale.

About the beer

Marston’s Pedigree is a pale ale and is not bitter – I emphasise. You don’t get a huge wallop of hops when you drink this, and I know there are many who don’t favour these “hop bomb” beers that seem to be around nowadays. Instead, Pedigree is subtle and malty, and therefore almost sweet on the palette. It’s not flavourless by any means, but won’t hit you round the face like some beers might.

Alcohol: 4.5%

My rating: 6/10

I rate this beer a six, not because it’s somehow lacking, but rather because it’s not the sort of beer I would drink regularly. It’s a great example of its class, and does taste really good. If you find bitters too, well, bitter, then you might prefer this sort of brew. The good thing about a challenge like this is that you can try lots of different types of beer and see which you like, and which you don’t.

A friend of mine often says “I don’t like red wine…” To me, that a bit like saying “I don’t like music.” You may not like some, or even most, types of music, but there’s bound to be something out there you do like. The same is true for wine, and indeed, beer. So get out there and see what you can find!

1 comment:

  1. Not a big fan of this myself. Just had myself a winter wibble (6%). Nice dark beer, packed with flavour.

    Look forward to your next review

    ReplyDelete